Friday, July 19, 2013

Feast on This Friday: Taco Seasoning

Welcome to the first edition of what I hope will be a weekly blog post that speaks to making a healthier table.

I am guilty of eating sub standard, prepared, boxed crap. Mainly because it's easy and when you have a chronic disease like I do (MS), you tend to take the easy way out. But, because I have MS, I need to think healthy thoughts and translate them into healthy habits. Eating healthy should be a no brainer.

When you are a terrible cook and have relied on Kraft and friends to determine what's for dinner, it's hard to think outside of the box. (heh)

I was really proud of myself the other day when I was grocery shopping. The family demanded burritos and I was growing weary of all that salt that comes with seasoning packs. So what did I do?? I stood right in the middle of Publix and hopped on their free wifi to go in search of homemade taco seasoning mix. Am I genius or what?!

I was drawn to one from allrecipes.com that had a LOT of ratings and 5 gold stars overall.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-i/

I use this Taco Seasoning recipe to cook meat for burritos, too, because I don't know any better and I'm not Hispanic. If you are used to cooking authentic Mexican cuisine, please correct me so I don't embarrass myself like this again. :)

This recipe makes approx. 3Tbsp mix and depending on how spicy you like it, will season either 1 or 2 lbs. of ground beef. We are wimps here and I used 1.5T to season 1 lb.

Also, as per the top positive comment on the recipe, I left out the red pepper flakes altogether and didn't miss them one bit. I mixed it with 1.5T flour, just like she said and it made a nice thick sauce after simmering for a while.

The ingredients are as follows:

TACO SEASONING

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

I'll be making this up in large batches. Not only did I cut the salt way back and omit the red pepper flakes, I think we're eating much healthier for it.

Besides, I feel so damn CRAFTY that I did that myself.


NO MORE PACKETS! NO MORE PACKETS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave your thoughts about my blog post. Your comment will show after I have given it the once over checking for spam. Spam adds nothing to the conversation, nor does it add anything to a gourmet meal.

Once I'm certain it's spam free, it'll go live and your words will live in infamy. :)

Thanks for playing along.